Colorful Economic Indicators: The Lipstick Index

Monday, December 8, 2008


posted by evad at Color + Design Blog by COLOURlovers - 5 days ago
Now that most experts have dropped the 'R' word in regards to the U.S. economy, we thought we should take a look at one of the more colorful economic indicators, the Lipstick Index. Which is this: the purchase of cosmetics - mainly lipstick - is inversely correlated to the health of the economy. The idea being that during troubled economic times women are less likely to buy items such as dresses, bags and shoes and will go for a less expensive item for a quick consumption high. The term is credited to Estee Lauder chairman Leonard Lauder who first used the term to explain the rise in cosmetic sales after the September 11th attacks. And according to the New York Times lipstick sales have risen 40% in the last few months. So, here are 18 of the recent most popular colors of lipstick.

2 comments:

Rice Candy said...

Lipstick madness! can a girl ever have enough lipsticks? and apparently this happened before too in the previous recession. Pure madness! I say, pure madness! :).

sarah said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Sarah

http://www.thetreadmillguide.com